Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Getting clean in my own room

We have not taken a shower in our master bathroom for years because we had water that was leaking in the basement from problems in the shower seat (builder's work) and then we had a problem with the shower door.  We have been showering in the other bathroom on our main level.  Our plan was to get a new shower enclosure, fix the seat...then the whole jobless thing happen.  I took off the cultured marble seat top and side a LONG time ago and never did anything with it.  I finally got mad a couple weeks ago and tore out the drywall and pulled the frame out.  I replaced the damaged wood and Pete installed the drywall.  We sealed the crap out of it before replacing the marble pieces (there was a lot more damage than we had expected and in a different spot than we knew about).

We were trying to attach the front (side) piece of marble, which was warped from the beginning (part of the leak issue) and it BROKE....in three pieces.  We checked on a replacement piece and it was a bit more pricey than we were expecting.  So I starting looking into other options.  I was thinking that we could tile it.  I have never tiled before, but I was willing to take a stab at it.   I wanted to find something that didn't look out of place, since the rest of the shower is cultured marble.  I found what I wanted and I actually completed it.  I have added a shower curtain to replace the shower door until we can afford to replace the shower enclosure.

It is wonderful to get up and walk to my bathroom and turn on the shower!!! 
The inside tiles match the wall color

We installed new hardware as well

I am pretty proud of my first tile job!!!
 I did learn a few things from this job
  • Use cement board - would have cut down on some extra steps
  • Make the mortar a little bit "wetter" so when you get to the end it isn't so dry.
  • Use Silicone "caulk" from the beginning, it works best and won't have to be redone
  • Use gloves when using above product so one doesn't have to use gasoline to get it off your hands.
  • Have faith in your ideas and your ability to do something new!!!!

1 comment:

lseabolt said...

So proud of you! It looks awesome!!! Great job!