Saturday, October 31, 2009
Hannah is over at her friend's house trick-or-treating this year...kind of tough for this Mommy. I know I have to let her go, but damn it is hard!!! I gave my instructions (no taffy or sugar gum - we are paying too much for those braces to break them for a little candy) and sent her on her way. She is missed so much and hopefully her friend's mom will get pictures so I can post later!!
We did have a wonderful family lunch today that was quite entertaining. We found out that Hannah has a new boyfriend. She is "going out" with Ben, who plays football. How long has this been going on? Since last night when Hannah's friend sent Ben a text to ask if "he wanted to go out with Hannah" and he said YES!! Davis asked her if he was fat....her answer....
"I don't know, I haven't seen him in like a year"
He moved and goes to another school. Pete joked with her and said maybe we can have him over for dinner for ALL of us to meet him!!!!
Happy Halloween...enjoy what you have!!!
Thursday, October 29, 2009
I am going to give a quick update as I am mentally drained and my heart is hurting.
- Hannah finished her fall softball season undefeated. She has grown so much this season and she really enjoyed it. This past weekend was the end of the season tournament....which they WON the whole thing....stayed in the winner's bracket the entire time. Hannah received the game ball for the second to last game, but really played hard every game!!
- I have a contract job starting on Monday. It is really short term (1-3 weeks) and doesn't have much flexibility. I am hoping it opens some permanent opportunities!! Next week it will be one year since I was laid off.
- I have been trying to prepare for the craft show on the 7th and am not making as much progress as I had hoped. My machine whacked out on me and I ended up having to take it to the shop. I still don't think it is sewing quite right, but I will nurse it through next weekend and then take it back to the shop (the guarantee their work for 90 days). I am a little nervous about the show...just don't know what people will think of my stuff!!
- We are gearing up for Halloween on Saturday. Hannah is planning on going to her friend's to trick-or-treat.....I guess she is growing up and we have to let her fly!! It is Pete's turn to take the boys out, so I get to stay home and drink some wine!!
- I have been volunteering at Hannah's school in the library (shelving books) and the lunchroom (selling ice cream). I am glad I am already done with school and I feel for those teachers!!!
I am sure there is more that I am forgetting. I am going to try to update more often because it is therapeutic for me. I am starting to see the light, hopefully it just continues to get brighter.
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
That is what I have been up to for the last couple of weeks, thanks to the end of our drought here in Georgia.
Our basement flooded....we live up on a hill...go figure. This video was taken from our upstairs above the garage, when we knew that no amount of shoveling was going to keep the water out!!
As soon as the drains caught up, the water left our basement as well!! However, all that "red" you see in the water is Georgia dirt!! The dirt has to be scrubbed off the floors in the basement. We pour disinfecting cleaner and water on the floor, scrub and then suck up in the shop vac.
We spent several days getting everything out that was wet (except for the carpet that does not have padding under it - which we shop vac'd). I have thrown away so much stuff...stuff I didn't need or want. Hannah's baby book was down there on a shelf that was on the floor - luckily I kept it in the box it was given to me in and that kept the important stuff from being ruined.
For my birthday, I got to go to the dump....boy do I know how to have a good time. It was very therapeutic to throw away all that crap!!!! I know Pete enjoyed it!!
Anyone that knows me knows that home organization is not my forte....but now I am going to make it one!! No more cardboard and pictures need to be protected. While I am still out of work, this is a perfect time to get things organized. I am going room by room and am excited when I finish one. I finished my "Christmas" room (where all the Christmas stuff is stored) last night and it feels great - I keep walking in there and smiling!
I am also sewing as I am preparing to join my friend at a craft show in November to sell my embroidered bookmarks and ornaments. My machine is in the basement and I am able to clean while the machine is working.
We registered with FEMA last week and they came out for an inspection on Friday. I wasn't aware that they would need to look in every room of the house (so embarrassed with the mess). We don't know the results of the inspection, but we did receive some money in our bank account yesterday that will definitely help!! The inspector felt our drywall was fine and that we should be able to steam clean the carpets. She said we are doing everything we should be doing, fans and dehumidifier, etc.
Not much going on with my job search. Pete is enjoying his, although I think he is looking for an easier time now that they have finally finished cleaning up after the flood (much of the course was completely under water and the silt is very deep).
The flood was the straw that broke the camel's back for me...I am doing my best to get out of my funk and have Faith that things will change. It has helped immensely that we have a wonderful family that continues to make our rough patch a little smoother.
I guess I need to cut this long entry off now...I am going jean shopping...for Hannah (I know my heart couldn't take jean shopping for me).
Thank you all for your continued prayers!!