Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Cleaning, Purging, Cleaning, Sewing, Cleaning, Organizing and Cleaning


That is what I have been up to for the last couple of weeks, thanks to the end of our drought here in Georgia.

Our basement flooded....we live up on a hill...go figure. This video was taken from our upstairs above the garage, when we knew that no amount of shoveling was going to keep the water out!!

As soon as the drains caught up, the water left our basement as well!! However, all that "red" you see in the water is Georgia dirt!! The dirt has to be scrubbed off the floors in the basement. We pour disinfecting cleaner and water on the floor, scrub and then suck up in the shop vac.

We spent several days getting everything out that was wet (except for the carpet that does not have padding under it - which we shop vac'd). I have thrown away so much stuff...stuff I didn't need or want. Hannah's baby book was down there on a shelf that was on the floor - luckily I kept it in the box it was given to me in and that kept the important stuff from being ruined.

For my birthday, I got to go to the dump....boy do I know how to have a good time. It was very therapeutic to throw away all that crap!!!! I know Pete enjoyed it!!

Anyone that knows me knows that home organization is not my forte....but now I am going to make it one!! No more cardboard and pictures need to be protected. While I am still out of work, this is a perfect time to get things organized. I am going room by room and am excited when I finish one. I finished my "Christmas" room (where all the Christmas stuff is stored) last night and it feels great - I keep walking in there and smiling!

I am also sewing as I am preparing to join my friend at a craft show in November to sell my embroidered bookmarks and ornaments. My machine is in the basement and I am able to clean while the machine is working.

We registered with FEMA last week and they came out for an inspection on Friday. I wasn't aware that they would need to look in every room of the house (so embarrassed with the mess). We don't know the results of the inspection, but we did receive some money in our bank account yesterday that will definitely help!! The inspector felt our drywall was fine and that we should be able to steam clean the carpets. She said we are doing everything we should be doing, fans and dehumidifier, etc.

Not much going on with my job search. Pete is enjoying his, although I think he is looking for an easier time now that they have finally finished cleaning up after the flood (much of the course was completely under water and the silt is very deep).

The flood was the straw that broke the camel's back for me...I am doing my best to get out of my funk and have Faith that things will change. It has helped immensely that we have a wonderful family that continues to make our rough patch a little smoother.

I guess I need to cut this long entry off now...I am going jean shopping...for Hannah (I know my heart couldn't take jean shopping for me).

Thank you all for your continued prayers!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your craft show! I wish I lived closer, haha, I LOVE to organize things. Last year I got a subscription to the magazine, Real Simple, and know even our cabinet under the sink is organized! They have lots of great ideas.