Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

Hope is bigger than fear

10 years ago today, Pete and I dropped off our 10 1/2 month old son and almost 5 year old daughter at daycare.  Plans were already in place for them to go home with our friend/director of the daycare for the night so no one in the family would have to worry about them.  (This was truly a blessing and I am forever grateful to Cathe for having the insight to do this for us).  After finishing that week, Hannah did not go back to daycare and Davis didn't return until August.

Pete and I drove to St. Joseph's hospital for a surgery that I believe was supposed to be at 1 in the afternoon.  I was having a lymph node removed with a "possible thyroidectomy" for a growth that the doctor assured me was not cancer. 

As I was being wheeled into the OR, the doctor joked and showed me the cd he was going to play even though he usually reserves it for nose surgeries...it was labeled "Booger Tunes".

I was put under and woke up SEVEN hours later (actually I was likely out longer, the surgery it self was 7 hours).  My funny doctor was at my side with the most somber look when I woke up.  I asked him three questions:

Did you take my thyroid?....His answer was yes.

Cancer?....His answer was yes

Thyroid cancer?...His answer was yes.

I smiled and said "ok". 

Ok because I knew I could beat that kind of cancer.

Ok because I knew there were replacement hormones for the diseased thyroid they had to remove.

Ok because I knew that I would be OK!!

Love is bigger than cancer and Hope is bigger than fear!!

I am eternally grateful for the family and friends that have made the last 10 years possible!!  I love you!

And to you cancer...you can still kiss my ass!!!!!!!!!

No comments: