Pages

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Six Years

Six years ago right now I was on an operating table having what the doctor thought was a benign growth and swollen lymph node in my neck removed.

The afternoon started on a pretty jolly note....I remember joking with Pete as we waited to be taken back to the surgery. Dr. Jackson came in with his music for the surgery which he said he usually saves for nose surgeries....it was labeled "Booger Tunes".

The mood quickly changed when the doctor opened me up and found WAY more than he was expecting. How does he explain to the family of this 32 year-old mother of small children that her neck is FULL of cancer? He took a biopsy and it was sent to the lab for a quick freeze test and went on removing what everyone in the room feared was melanoma (which would not have been good). I have been told that the room was very solemn. Then the operating room phone rings, the nurse answers and cheers..."It's thyroid cancer" and there were many cheers!!!

Cheers? That may sound funny, but this cancer is 95% curable without chemo. My family was then told....actually they told Pete over the phone in the waiting room. Pete didn't hear the joy, only a fear so deep in his gut that he couldn't breathe.

The best part of being the patient is that all of this drama is going on while you are out....I awoke not knowing that I had endured a 7 hours surgery and that I was now a cancer patient.

Cancer sucks......but you can't dwell on it. Instead I like to remember the good that has come from it.

  • I survived and I continue to survive
  • I learned to live each day like it could be your last
  • I am surrounded by love from my family, friends, neighbors and perfect strangers
  • I have an excuse for being overweight - who can argue that I have thyroid issues
  • I can pull out the "C-Card" at family gatherings and trump everyone else - come on, I deserve it!!!

I can't let this day go by without thanking those who have been so instrumental in my complete HEALING.....

  • Mom - you always know exactly what I need without me asking.
  • Dad - you worrying about me everyday makes me feel safe.
  • Pete - without you I would have crumbled
  • Hannah - you are so strong and independent, just what we needed.
  • Davis - you were just a baby, but you gave me a reason to fight
  • Matt - you showed me that I wasn't broken afterall
  • Lisa - you are just always there and you make me feel normal
  • Woody - you keep me real

Today is a day to CELEBRATE, because without this day six years ago, I might not be here to celebrate TODAY.

3 comments:

lseabolt said...

You're not supposed to make pregnant women cry! Oh wait, like that's so hard. I'm being comforted by my 20 month old, so all is good. We will never understand what you went through (and continue to), but I hope you know through all of it, you are admired for your strength and loved tremendously.

Teresa said...

I had no idea the area was nailed yet again. I used to live there. Because of my work, I know the fire department very well. Thank goodness you didn't need them but be comforted to know that they are a great bunch of guys!

Anonymous said...

I cannot imagine the changes that you have been through in such a short amount of time, but I'm so very happy that you've fought through everything and had so many people to support you. I love you!